[vc_row][vc_column][title_nd tag=”h2″ title=”We are a Christ-centered community that provides a caring environment emphasizing academics, moral values and discipline.” color=”#1e73be”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]St. Michael Catholic School has a long history as an enriching influence in Orland Park and its surrounding community. St. Michael Parish was originally founded on September 29, the Feast Day of the Archangel, in 1867 in an area called Goodings Grove, located at 159th and Will Cook Road.
With the building of the railroad, Orland Park began to emerge as a “big town” and in 1924 the parish moved to its current location at 143rd and Highland Avenue. The original two-room school associated with the parish would close intermittently due to unfavorable conditions, and did not make the move with the church to Orland Park. The school that stands today, opened in 1949. The school building began with eight classrooms and was under the direction of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catharine, Kentucky.
After World War II, there was a suburban population boom with veterans moving their families to the suburbs. The Palos-Orland area offered a country setting with modern conveniences, and became a popular area for relocation. Almost immediately, it became apparent that St. Michael School was too small for its growing number of students. For many years, the school continued to grow and expand with its student body. By 1962, with a new wing added, the number of classrooms grew to 24.
Today, St. Michael School serves over 600 students from preschool to eighth grade, and continues to advance with new technology and a diverse, challenging curriculum. The dedicated teachers and staff provide a caring, faith-based environment emphasizing academics, moral values and discipline.
For a more detailed history of St. Michael Parish, visit the parish web site.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]